4G Consultancy are strategically located in Milton Keynes, a sometimes ridiculed place, but one that is perfect for our quantity surveying and estimating services.
As a new town, it was built to be a satellite for Birmingham, London, Leicester and Cambridge and as road travel times have improved so has our ability to serve clients across the Midlands and south of England.
We’ve carried out works in places as far-flung as Slough and Margate and ventured into Chelsea, London, to help others with our professional services.
Compared with other places in the country, we are spoiled for choice with transport links – the M1, M40, A1M and M6 are all within easy reach and this means, with us being only 45 miles from central London, that we can reach places away from our Buckinghamshire base with relative ease.
Our central location credentials established, let’s answer the question occasionally posed:
What is a Quantity Surveyor?
A quantity surveyor (QS) is a construction industry professional with expert knowledge on construction costs and contracts. They are not to be confused with land surveyors.
Services provided by a quantity surveyor may include:
- Cost consulting, cost estimating
- Cost planning and commercial management throughout the entire life cycle of the project from inception to post-completion
- Value determination
- Risk management and calculation
- Procurement advice and assistance during the tendering procedures
- Tender analysis and agreement of the contract sum
- Preparation of pricing documents (e.g. Bills of Quantities) in tender
- Drafting contract conditions and contractual correspondence
- Commercial management and contract administration
- Contractual advice
- Assistance in dispute resolution
- Asset capitalisation
- Interim valuations and payment assessment
- Cost management process
- Assessing the additional costs of design variations
- Production of company pre-qualification questionnaire (PQQ) documentation in line with company policies
- Project management
- Assistance in establishing a client’s requirements
We will be looking at each of these roles in future blog posts – so make sure you bookmark the page, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and follow our LinkedIn company page!